Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Volleyball Season to Remember


I've been thinking about my BLA volleyball team a lot lately. Recently, when Steve and I went back to FL for graduation, I found out from a player that the "sports awards" night was going to be while we were in town. Suppressing my great irriation that as their coach, I was never contacted about this very night, I decided to surprise my old team and come out. Well, besides the fact that I found the "sports awards" portion of the evening entirely infuriating, and shed quite a few tears of frustration over it after I left - you guys deserved so much more --I wish I had known about it sooner and could have given you all the public kudos you so rightly earned as student athletes......but I digress into an area I wish not to enter.
Regardless, it was good to see my old team again. They were so much fun to coach and while I was initially (when the season started) rolling my eyes at coaching such a motley crew, as the season progressed I came to love each and every one of them very much. They are unique, proud, dynamic young women and I was honored to coach them. Next year, as they scatter throughout the central Florida area, I know that they will do well at their new schools and I know that some of them will definitely excel at volleyball. Their future coaches are very lucky to be gaining such hard-working team members. I love you guys, and best of luck to you all, if any of you are reading this!

No comments: