Saturday, June 7, 2008

Vegetarianism anyone??



For several months now, I've seriously considered becoming a vegetarian.
Does anyone out there have any experience? I'm not sure where I would start...and I'm worried that it would be difficult to plan meals sans meat and I do occassionally love me a good burger (but infrequently enough that I could probably give it up - but forever?)
I guess in general, I'm just afraid that it would be a whole lot more work...having to plan meals for the fam (or a special meal for me) that wouldn't contain meat of any kind.
Anybody out there done it? Is it hard? Got any pointers?
I think I might need to go to the bookstore and pick up THIS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm working on reading that e-book... I think I'm ready to do it too!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to both of you. There's no way I could do it. I love meat.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm going to write something way too long. :-) I have considered this too- however I can't lock myself into being completely "vegetarian" all the time. I too enjoy a good burger every now and then. Really it just comes down to the fact that most of the time if I have a meat vs. non meat option, I usually choose non meat. You could start simply, by making one or two meals a week completely "veg". Maybe it's cheating, but I know morningstar farms makes some yummy stuff, I bet your boys would like their "chicken" (really veggie) patties- they're really good! Just experiment, if you make stirfry, instead of chicken, swap in extra firm tofu. I actually like that better, but I am probably a wierdo. A friend of mine is Vegan (Really extreme) but I have learned a lot from her. How to get protein from other sources (beans, nuts etc). Try any of the "Moosewood Restaurant" cookbooks. I haven't tried them yet but they're supposed to be good. Good luck! Maybe you can at least be a part time veg like me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Vegetarian?!?!

I ate guinea pig - REALLY, I DID - in a tent on the side of a mountain in Peru... YUMMY!! Why would I want to give that up??