Friday, August 8, 2008

Angel Hair with Feta and Sun Dried Tomatoes


I've been trying to think of vegetarian dishes that we can eat that the whole family will like (read:Steve-o the Carnivore) so last night I went with pasta - that's safe, right?
It was DELISH and super easy so I thought I'd put it up here to pressure you into making it as well. It's so friggin' EASY - it's a great meal for school nights because you just whip all the stuff together and voila! Instant yummy meal.

It's relatively light too....
unless you gorge yourself and have 2 huge helpings.

Like I did.

Then it sits in your stomach for a rock for the next 3 hours.



Anyway.....

Angel Hair with Feta and Sun Dried Tomatoes

1 package of angel hair pasta


about 1/4 cup olive oil


4 -6 cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed (I like 'em sliced thinly)

3-4 oz. sundried tomatoes, softened and chopped (I added extra)

(took me forever to find these in the store. They're by the pasta sauces and Publix only carried this ONE brand - it's on the top shelf if you go there)

1 8-oz package of tomato basil feta cheese, crumbled
(if you're looking away (men) because you don't think you like feta cheese, JUST STOP IT. It adds a lot to the flavor of this dish - so just give it a chance, wouldja??)

1 cup grated Parmesan

(I didn't have Parmesan so I used a combination of Pecorino and Asiago and it was still really good. I'm sure you can substitute with whatever you have)

1 Bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped (I used considerably less - about a handful. Cuz I thought it was weird to put cilantro in a pasta dish).

salt & pepper to taste (and I also threw in some chopped basil too)

Then:
1.
Start the pasta boiling and meanwhile...
2. Pour some olive oil into a skillet and saute the garlic on low-med heat. If you use some of the olive oil from the jar of tomatoes...YUM.
3. Throw in the tomatoes (that you've already chopped up a bit) and the cilantro and then turn off the heat. Do not add the cheeses in until last.
4. Drain your pasta or just serve it up individually on plates. Mix it all together and serve with a loaf of bread or baguette...or make up some bruschetta like we did.

ENJOY!

------
cooking tip from me: Don't EVER drain your pasta after you cook it. I think that's an American thing...to think that you have to drain and rinse your pasta, and you DON'T! It just makes the pasta harder to work with as it "dries" and could lead to the ever-dreaded Sticky Pasta Mess. Just use a pasta spoon and scoop it right out of the water onto a plate or serving dish. I promise...it's much better that way.
------

Lemme know if you try it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lu-UV me some sun dried tomatoes! Coincidentally, I whipped up a very similar dish for myself just a few nights ago with stuff we had around the house... mine did have some tasty barn yard pimp in it though.

Anonymous said...

First off, That does sound pretty yummy. I may try to work that into one of our meals next week.
Second off, I ALWAYS drain my pastas. I have never thought otherwise. Now I am very curious about leaving the water in... I am definitely giving that a try. Thanks for the fab. tip! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm!!!