Thursday, October 18, 2007

Loopy

ok, Ness posted this on her blog, and it threw me for such a loop I thought I'd post it over here for you guys to check out:

Is the dancer turning clockwise, or counterclockwise?



If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

I saw her turning clockwise, and I stared at her for a good 4 or 5 minutes and couldn't make her change. THEN.....I focused on the shadow underneath her and started doing math in my head. 2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8+8=16, etc. and then she changed direction! So I then I looked back at her shadow and started to picture pieces of art: Crucifixion by Salvador Dali, Virgin of the Rocks by DaVinci, Mattisse's Creole Dancers, etc and she turned back the other way.
Incredible the way that the brain functions!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is weird....I see counter-clockwise, but I'm left handed which is supposed to mean that I'm right brained.When I look at the list of left vs right brain I'm about 50/50 between the two.

Confirmed: I'm WAY screwed up! :-)

Anonymous said...

wow...i could only see counter-clockwise. that's very interesting.

Anonymous said...

ok, this IS weird! the more i stare at her the more she seems to change direction!

Anonymous said...

And the plot thickens....I just finished drawing up a few sketches on a project and checked back. She was immediately turning clockwise this time.

Anonymous said...

I'm accountant... of course she turned counter-clockwise...

Anonymous said...

I actually saw it on Ness's blog and all I saw was clockwise. Then when I looked at her on your blog she was a different way everytime I looked at her!

how cool

Anonymous said...

Who makes this stuff up?! I think I have a headache now.
The first few times I saw counter-clockwise, and then finally saw it clockwise. I'm definitely left brained. Nothing artsy about me.

Anonymous said...

it spins both ways.....