Saturday, October 14, 2006

My First...and Last Wedding

Yesterday I shot my first wedding and I'm so glad it's over! Not because the wedding was bad or anything like that, but because it was so stressful for me. Casey's beautiful sister Anna was crazy enough to want to hire me to do her wedding and for several weeks I kept saying, "no, no - I don't DO weddings". Finally I caved to the pressure and agreed. As the day approached I was wondering what the heck I was thinking and spent countless hours reading and studying up on wedding photography.

You might wonder why I was so freaked out to do a wedding - how much different can it be than a regular photoshoot, right? Well, it's TONS different and here's why:

1. The biggest reason is: If you screw it up, there's no do-over, no reset, no "let's try that again". For a lot of the day, you have approximately 4 seconds to get the image and if you don't, well - you've missed that once-in-a-lifetime shot and the bride will hate your guts. Ahem...yeah, no pressure or anything.
2. Secondly, I am a completely self-taught photographer. I've never taken a class or any had any kind of formal training. I know what my camera does, and how to use it, but when it comes to technicalities, well - I can tell you what an f-stop is, and exposure, and about your ISO and shutter speed, etc. etc. but I can't tell you EXACTLY how it all works together or how the lens works when it opens or the mirrors and the angles and all the technical intricacies of a functioning camera. I can DO it, but I'm not good at explaining it or TEACHING it.
The problem? A wedding is tricky TECHNICALLY to photograph. White dress, Black tuxes, variant lighting - correct exposure is difficult. I did a LOT of reading on understanding my camera's histogram.
3. Equipment. To photograph weddings, it's essential to have backup equipment of everything. Backup camera, backup flash, backup lenses. Did I mention that I don't have backup ANYTHING? And it's not like I could rent around here because in small-town-USA the TWO available camera stores in town do NOT rent. So I held my breath all day and prayed to God that Murphy's law would be occupied elsewhere and not attack my camera or flash. I had a moment of panic when my flash wouldn't work - but it turns out it was just a set of dud batteries. Oh, and my Tamron lens quit working throughout the day, but luckily I had my handy 50mm that I just popped on when the Tamron went caputz. Hopefully no one noticed.

Last night when I got home I took a bubble bath and drank some wine and then curled up in bed with "The Sound of Music" - don't know why, but I've been jones'n to see it lately and I found it at the library last week, so....wah-lah. A night of relaxation after a long day.

ANYWAY...if you read all that - you get a sticker. I JUST started sorting through them all, but I HAD to open a few to see what I got, so...here are a few teasers of yesterday's wedding. I couldn't have asked for more good looking people. The bride was gorgeous and the groom was a hottie... Oh, and did I mention that the bride's father is a dentist? So not only was the bride bee-u-teeful, she had a perfect thousand-watt smile to boot.

Here they are....images from my first....and last wedding. :)







Hmm...they look darker on here than in real life....oh well. Turn up the brightness on your monitor.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!
I AM AMAZED AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING YES!
IT WAS REALLY SPECIAL TO HAVE YOU THERE BECAUSE YOU'RE AMAZING BUT BECAUSE YOU ARE OUR FRIEND AND I FELT SO BLESSED TO HAVE SOMEONE SO PERSONAL THERE WITH US!

THESE LOOK GREAT AND AGAIN, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE REST!
THANKS AGAIN...LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

I love them!!!! I cannot wait to see the rest. Thank you so much for all of your patience and the time you spent with us... You are AWESOME!!!
It is unfortunate for everyone else that you will not be taking anymore wedding photos, but I am so THANKFUL that the one you did was MINE! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Love, Anna

Anonymous said...

Anna, Casey - I'm glad you liked them. Because those are the only five that turned out.


Just kidding! :) lol I crack myself up.

Should have everything else to you in a week. And Casey - NO, you may not see them before Anna and Charles do, despite your best efforts to sneak some peeks. :)

Anonymous said...

ha no it is not goin to be ur last wedding....lol cause ur doin mine.
=] cause these pictures are amazing.
and u r a fantastic photographer.
mmmmmmmmm so in bout maybe, hopefully, in 7 years u'll be at my wedding... still if u don't then ur still sittin in one of those seats it has ur name on it already.....
much luv~~Jillian

Anonymous said...

Tammi...I would have been thrilled to have shots like this. You might not have the techy stuff (supposedly) but you have the feeling right. Your photos show emotion...they catch details that that human eye seeks out. I LOVE the bride running down the stairs. Could I PLEASE book you for my daughter's wedding. She's 7, so that should give you enough planning time, right?

Lovely.

Anonymous said...

vanessa -

Hopefully in about 15 years I'll know what the he*l I'm doing and I *might* be able to handle your daughter's wedding. :)
Jilly - for you, anything. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay. I don't know you, but I know Vanessa who told me I HAD to check out your blog. She told me because I'm a fellow photographer and she thought I'd enjoy seeing your work.

I sure hope that you decide to do more weddings. The few that you posted are simply put... amazing. They are artistic and beautiful. They look professional the way I dream about mine looking one day.

Don't give up!! Weddings are tons of fun, I think. Sure it's an important day, but it's a beautiful day too. And you get the honor of capturing those memories. Wow! Hey, maybe we should do weddings together?! ;)

I look forward to seeing more of your photos in the future!
Amber