Sunday, October 1, 2006

A Fabulous Weekend


What a great weekend. The weather is starting cool off and there's a pleasant breeze and a crispness to the morning and evening air that *almost* reminds me of fall in Michigan.
Friday night I did my first solo assignment for the Herald, and got my first photos published in the newspaper - I actually had TWO photos in there - a football pic and a feature, so I feel semi-famous in that small-town-you-THINK-you're-cool sorta way. I looked at the Herald online to see if they posted the weekend pigskin review, but they still have last weeks up there and haven't updated, so if you keep checking back HERE, you might get to see my photos in the next couple of days.

Saturday a.m. dawned a few volleyball matches. The girls played horrible in their first match - they won, but only by the skin of their teeth in a game that was almost painful to witness. JV played next (or B-Team as it's known down here) and they won pretty handily and played quite well. B-Team photos posted on the website this morning so you can check those out HERE. Here's one of Brittany B. pounding one down - she's an up and coming B-teamer and she'll kick some butt by the time she's a senior. She's improved a tremendous amount in the last 2 months alone...can't wait to see how she grows as an athlete in the next couple of YEARS.

Varsity played again after B-Team and played tremendously. They were on top of their game, playing smart and playing hard. It was a much more enjoyable game to experience...as a spectator and as a coach, and I'm sure for the players as well. They played like the awesome team that they are, and that makes for a much more enjoyable time for EVERYONE - right, girls? THANK YOU for pulling your heads out of your butts and playing like you really know how to play! :) That first game about gave me a coronary I think.






Went home after the games and spent the afternoon with the boys outside - the sun was shining, there was a nice breeze and we had a big time playing fetch with Harley and swinging on the swingset.
Who's Harley, you wonder? He's our psuedo-dog. He actually belongs to the people who live about 2 houses up from us, but they don't take good care of him - he's always running around the neighborhood (even in the rain) and eating from trash and basically being a pest to all the neighbors. He's a great dog though, and the kids love him, and Harley doesn't care if they sit on him or pull his tail or climb under him like a bridge when he's begging for food in the kitchen. I bought him a flea collar a couple weeks ago because he's got a nasty case of fleas (gross!) but I don't seem to notice much difference in the scratching. I think I might have to try a different method of flea control if Harley is going to continue visiting our house on a regular basis.

Here's A.J. -- being his cool self. He loves to wear these sunglasses, but insists on putting them on all by himself, even if they're upside down. I waited until he figured out how to put them on the right way before snapping his picture.

"What's that in his hand?" you wonder? It's a rubber mallet, that I had been using to repair a bent axle on the wagon, which he stealthily stole from me and beganto climb up the swingset with (with great difficulty - it's hard to climb with only one hand because you have a mallet in your other hand). There was much grunting and sweat broken on this feat, and when he got to the top (about 5 rungs) he exclaimed, "I did it mama!" and promptly threw the mallet about 4 feet across the yard, narrowly missing Harley who was laying peacefully just a few feet away. Good thing he was watching the spectacle or he wouldn't have been able to move out of the way in time.




Sunday morning we drove an hour to Tifton to meet our friend's the Cox's, who were passing through on their way home to Rabun Gap. We all swam in the hotel pool for awhile and then went out for lunch before they continued on their way back home.

We miss them.
We wish they would move closer to us. Or we could move closer to them. They're good friends and we have a lot of fun together.


There's new secrets on Post Secret, and the sun is shining. Yesterday I only paid $1.95 for gas. The kids want to go oustide and play - Owen wants to go to the zoo.

And I think that's a great idea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what is up with AJ's binky? The last I talked to you, you were actually bragging about how easy it was to break him??????

Anonymous said...

"Braggin"?? moi? I think not.
Marveling perhaps at how easy he was COMPARED to Owen, who was in binky withdrawal and moaned and shivered and cried everynight for a week without it.

We WERE to the point where he only wanted it at night but then that guy I live with let him have it an entire weekend nonstop and now we can't get him to give it up for ANYTHING. And I'm too tired and stressed out lately to fight it. Maybe around Chrismas time I'll tighten down.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Wow...that was a really "HAPPY" blog... I LOVE the pictures!
Also, I think swam is a fun word!