Monday, May 11, 2009

Looky Looky!

Just put a teaser up on the biz blog, but I'm SO excited about this new project that I'm working on! :)
Over the winter, I had this idea to rent an underwater camera housing for a couple weeks in the summer and offer pool shoots to new and existing clients. It would be a package deal...you'd get a DVD with a combination of video and still shots set to music, with a $$print credit and maybe a few extra prints...something something...I hadn't exactly figured it all out yet.
So I started scouring the internet for a place where I could rent a camera housing. The place that I usually rent gear from wasn't carrying housings anymore so I was totally bummed as I perused the 'net looking for something because just to RENT a housing for about a week would run me in the $600 range. Would i make that money up in sales from the shoots? I wasn't sure....1 week wasn't very much time to promote and squeeze in enough shoots to make my money back.
SO THEN I thought, "well, heck. I live in Georgia and it's warm here 9 months of the year. Why don't I just BUY a camera housing?" Lord knows I'll have plenty of opportunity to use it.

So I did.
And a video camera housing too.

And with a fluttering heart, I read (and re-read, and re-read again) the directions, packed my cheapest camera and a decent lense into that baby and sank it into the pool. GULP. I might as well have taken $1200 in cash and dunked it in.
NO WORRIES!

It worked like a champ - no leaks, no problems and we spent several hours practicing with it. Casey and I played with the video camera, and the regular camera - Steve and the boys were our subjects and they swam their little hearts out.

3 hours and 2 minor sunburns later and we had learned a few things and were ready to hit the pool again the next weekend with better methods (boat anchors, bungee chords, flippers, dive masks, weight belts, wider-angled lenses.....don't ask).

We hit the pool again yesterday with even more success and I'm starting to feel like this could be a REALLY cool thing. How many photographers do YOU know who can take professional photos of your family UNDERWATER??

Anyway....the end product isn't ready to show to the world yet, but I think it'll be pretty cool. A combination of shots in and out of the pool combined with video....I think it would be an awesome treasure for any pool-lovin' summer-lovin' family.
Plus I think the options for creative portraiture are endless.......I won't even tell you the wild ideas I've got in my head for THAT.
What do YOU think??


A.J.

Couple more to see as a teaser on the blog.
And don't YOU feel special because you guys are the first I've told about it. :)
And I'd love feedback....do you think it's a good idea? Would you pay money for it? What do you think would make it even cooler? What would give it more value for you?

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I think that is a really neat idea! I'd love to see a baby under the water. Not my baby though. "They" say babies can swim when they are first born, that they will hold their breath. I wouldn't want to test that theory on my newborn though. But it would make a really neat picture, especially if the baby had its eyes open and had lots of hair flowing in the water.

You could also do a trash the dress type of shoot after a wedding.

Anonymous said...

just no shower shots

Tammi said...

Melissa- I keep imagining the same thing! I keep picturing something like this: http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/Nirvana_Nevermind_album_cover.jpg

:)

Anonymous - too late.

Melissa said...

Maybe add a diaper if you try it out on a baby.

Amy Lynn said...

I think this is super cool! If I had money and older kids, I would DEFINITELY pay for a shoot like this. I cannot wait to see sessions like this!!

Amy said...

Having girls, they are always having "tea parties" underwater. That might be a cute pic with a colorful teaset and girls in bathing suits and tutus? I don't know...

Maybe you could throw colored glitter in the pool and take a few shots before it all sinks?

Colored water in water guns. Underwater fun fight?

It's late - been another nutty day.

Tammi said...

amy - i think ya got something with that colored water thing......