Friday, April 4, 2008

A Bit Controversial

I subscribe to the TreeHugger blog, and one of the articles on there today was about population control.
As stated in the article, Alan Wiesman of The World Without us- "we have to "limit every human female on Earth capable of bearing children to one".
While I'm not really in favor of limited the number of children that people can have (um...hello, China? I'll have an order of a rise in unsafe abortions and female infanticide please), it is interesting to consider the effects that overpopulation have on our overpopulated and taxed planet.
Personally, I think adoption would be the "easy" solution, if only it were so easy. Steve and I would love to adopt - we had talked about for years while we were dating and during the early years of our marriage. In fact, we had planned on adopting FIRST, and then things were rearranged when Owen came along as a surprise. I'd still like to adopt one day, but logistically, it's difficult. A mountain of paperwork, interviews, home studies, and then of course the big one: THE COST. How many people don't adopt because quite frankly, it's just easier to get yourself knocked up and have your own kid?? I understand the need to make sure that children are placed in loving and stable homes, but I just wish there was a better solution to make adoption more feasible and less scary for more people. There are a LOT of kids (domestic and foreign) that need homes...
Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't have solutions, but it piqued my brain today and got me thinking...

The survey on treehugger.com asked this:

What do you think about population control?

1. There are too many already, people should adopt
2. Alan Wiesman is right: one kid per family
3. If you can afford to support them and instill in them a strong sense of environmental responsibility, why limit it?
4. Fundamentally, it's none of yours or anyone else's business


From The Matrix, Agent Smith to Morpheus: "Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. "You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the difficulty of adoption. I've often thought how great that would be to adopt. It just shouldn't be so complicated, expensive etc. As Christians, it seems like we should do better holding up the adoption end of the Pro Life/Value Life message...? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the adoption front. It is great, and should be more available.

(To read a ranting tangent off of this subject goto: http://jer110.blogspot.com/2008/04/its-not-small-world-after-all.html Thanks.)

Anonymous said...

We have thought the same things about adoption. It is so difficult and so costly. And then you see the stories where kids are ripped from their adoptive parents arms...
As far as population control... I fall somewhere between 3 and 4. I would put more of an emphasis on God-fearing characteristics rather than environmental responsibility, although the two should go hand in hand. I'm definitely not of the "Quiverfull" mentality, but I do believe God wants us to raise up as many children as we can in order to serve Him.

Anonymous said...

Adoption is a great idea. But the system of adoption, like any other system, could use alot of improvements. Population control is definitely not the answer. I think taking better care of the Earth God gave us and better management of it's resources is the answer.

No matter what the answer to overpolutation is; doesn't human life out weigh comfort?

I'm just a thankful female kid thinking. :)

Anonymous said...

I am totally for adoption! My husband and I plan to adopt a baby girl from China within the next few years. (Not to mention that my husband himself is adopted.) While we absolutely dread all of the paper work, costs, etc., we know this is God's will for our lives. Somehow I know He will provide.

Anonymous said...

Can we make an impact outside our 4 walls without adopting? Some examples I could think of are foster care, volunteer at Boy & Girls club, etc...the list is endless. Instead of thinking as big as adoption shouldn't we just start and see where God leads. If it leads to adoption great but until then, we could have a huge impact through the process.

As for population control, I'm with twl. Let's go back to God's original order and intention. Why was the earth created? Why was man created? How does God view this? What does He have to say on the issue? As believers, talk is good but often cheat. Let's get back to our said Creator and stand for something with absolute truth.
From Amanda

Anonymous said...

Lisa - you know I totally agree with you. As Christians, republicans, right-wingers, whatever...we're always quick to say 'LEGALIZE ABORTION!" 'YOU'RE KILLING YOUR BABY", but then what do we do to help the woman after she has the "unplanned/unwanted child"??? Most often, nothing. Sad. And it makes me squirm a little in shame.
In the Den - here we go again! I love it! :) LOL
Melissa - I agree with you, God-fearing and environmentally conscious go hand-in-hand in my book. Stewardship baby, stewardship. Sadly, I think the "quiverful" thing is taken out of context far too often. Ditto on the "go forth and multiply". Of course God said, "Go forth and multiply" but the last half of that statement was: "...and fill the earth". Because THERE WAS ONLY TWO OF THEM.
Go forth and multiply or ELSE THERE WILL BE NO ONE LEFT. Not procreate like rabbits. But that's just my two cents. :)
TWL - agree with that. Adoption isn't always the answer - sometimes it compounds the deeper root issues.
jamie-congrats! how exciting and btw, i'm adopted too. :)
manda - i was a little surprise that rob wrote such a long post! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow... look @ Tammi, stirring up readers & moving them to commenting action!!!

I don't even really know how I feel about the question.
I mean of course I think adoption is WONDERFUL and I see a lot of issues that could potentially be controlled through population control. But it won't work for everyone... communism DOESN'T WORK... except in a vacuum... or utopia... and we don't live there yet.

So, I think it goes back to individuals being responsible & making good choices:
"A small community of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

Anonymous said...

Ok...I guess I fall somewhere between 3 & 4.

First off, the world is not over-crowded. If you've ever driven through rural Georgia, you can see that. :) Certain cities are over-crowded, but there is plenty of livable space on this planet. Limiting birth rates is not the answer. To put it brashly, if it's crowded where you are, move.

Personally, I believe people should be responsible, as far as is reasonable. If you can't support a child, or don't want a child, you should go to all reasonable lengths to avoid having one.
I understand that things happen beyond our control, but you shouldn't act on an obligation to bear children and "raise up an army".

On the flip-side of the cautious, 'responsible', family planning perspective is God's omnipotence. You will have precisely how many children when and how God pleases. He is not daunted by birth-control pills, vasectomies, low finances, or mounds of adoption paperwork.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you gotta guess what I'm gonna say...

Foster to Adopt. I don't know what the national percentages are, but in Michigan, and in our county, in five years, only five children pulled from their homes ever returned to that home...that means every other kid remained in the system and was likely available to adopt.

Of course, there are lots of scary things that can happen, but just look at my precious Charleigh and you'll know the risk is totally worth it.

And oh yeah, they pay you to foster. Not much, but something. Do you know who most foster parents are? People who need the money....not necessarily good people. (Ever read White Oleander?) It would be great if as Christians we could all step up and overcome our fears of the unknown and just do it. Call your local DHS and ask them if they have any info meetings or training sessions. Huddle up with similar minded families and support one another through the process. In a year, you could be home to a child who has literally been thrown away because he or she is too old, too messed up, too black, too many...

You have no idea what you can do until you try.